Legal Secretary Job Description Template
The Legal Secretary will provide administrative and secretarial support to the lawyers and paralegals in the firm. Duties will include typing, filing, answering phones, scheduling appointments, and maintaining legal documents. The Legal Secretary will also be responsible for communicating with clients and other professionals on behalf of the firm. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as experience working in a law office.
Legal Secretary Job Responsibilities
- Answer phones and direct calls to the appropriate party.
- Open and distribute mail.
- Maintain files, both electronic and paper.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested by attorneys or paralegals.
- Schedule appointments and maintain calendars for lawyers in the firm.
- Make travel arrangements for attorneys when needed.
- To work as a legal secretary in a law firm, assisting lawyers with their casework and providing administrative support.
- To use my excellent secretarial skills to produce high quality legal documents and correspondence.
- To maintain an efficient filing system for the lawyer’s files, ensuring that all documents are correctly filed and easily accessible when required.
- To provide reception cover as required, greeting clients and visitors in a professional manner and dealing with enquiries efficiently.
- To undertake legal research as requested by the lawyers, using both online resources and offline sources such as libraries.
Legal Secretary Job Skills & Qualifications Needed
- A legal secretary should have strong secretarial, administrative, and organizational skills. They should be able to type quickly and accurately, and have experience using computers and various software programs. In addition, they should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as they will be interacting with clients on a regular basis. It is also beneficial if they have some knowledge of the legal field, although this is not always required.