Hospital Scribe Job Description Template
The Hospital Scribe is responsible for documenting the physician-patient encounter in real time during patient visits. The scribe will maintain a detailed medical record of the visit, which will be used by the physician to make treatment decisions. The scribe will also assist with other clerical duties as needed, such as scheduling appointments and ordering laboratory tests.
Hospital Scribe Job Responsibilities
- Transcribe and maintain patient medical records.
- Work with physicians and other health care professionals to ensure accuracy of medical charts.
- Perform data entry of patient information into electronic health records system.
- Assist with scheduling appointments and maintaining appointment calendars.
- Answer phone calls and direct inquiries appropriately.
- Greet patients and visitors in a professional manner.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient information in accordance with HIPAA regulations
- To provide accurate and timely medical transcription of physician dictated reports including but not limited to H&P’s, consults, operative reports, discharge summaries and progress notes.
- To maintain confidentiality of all patient information and adhere to all HIPAA regulations.
- To work both independently and as part of a team in a fastpaced environment.
- To take direction from physicians and other health care providers.
- To have a basic understanding of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, diagnostic procedures and treatments.
- To research unfamiliar terms when necessary.
- To meet or exceed employer expectations for quality and productivity standards.
Hospital Scribe Job Skills & Qualifications Needed
- There are no specific skills or qualifications needed for the role of hospital scribe. However, individuals who are interested in this position should have strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as excellent organizational skills. Additionally, hospital scribes must be able to work independently and be detailoriented.