Buyer Job Description Template
The Buyer is responsible for the procurement of materials and services for the company. They develop and maintain supplier relationships, negotiate contracts, and ensure that purchased products meet quality standards. The Buyer also manages inventory levels to minimize cost and disruption to operations.
Buyer Job Responsibilities
- Research and identify potential suppliers
- Evaluate supplier proposals and select most advantageous supplier
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with chosen suppliers
- Negotiate pricing and contract terms with suppliers
- Monitor supplier performance to ensure compliance with contractual obligations
- Manage the procurement process from requisition to receipt of goods or services
- To purchase goods and materials at the best possible price while maintaining quality standards.
- To develop and maintain supplier relationships to ensure a reliable source of goods and materials.
- To negotiate contracts with suppliers, including payment terms, delivery schedules, and other conditions.
- To monitor supplier performance to ensure compliance with contractual agreements.
- To forecast future demand for goods and materials based on sales trends and market conditions.
- To develop and implement purchasing policies and procedures in accordance with company guidelines.
- To keep abreast of new products and developments in the marketplace that could benefit the company
Buyer Job Skills & Qualifications Needed
- Some specific skills and qualifications that are often required for the role of buyer include:
- Strong analytical and problemsolving skills
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with purchasing software (e.g. SAP) is often an asset